Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Maybe Ms. Jade really is a Crosby's Compact?

Hmm, Over the years, I've posted pictures and information of Ms. Jade that I've had since December of 1996. It's my oldest jade plant. One of my biggest frustrations with her is that I've never succeeded in having her growing big at all. I would either let her get all leggy or just keep her sharply pruned down - nothing worked. After posting on Gardenweb over time, a few members have suggested that she may be a Crosby's Compact.

After looking up information, it appears Crosby's Compact turns red. I've always dismissed it because Ms. Jade and all her 'offspring' have never turned red at all. The leaves remain green and would have a 'sunburnt' edge during summer.

Well, for some reason, one of her offspring has started reddening right up! Sorry about the pollen. The pine trees are trying to make everything look yellow right now.



Here's the image of the full size plant.



Hm, my poor camera. I don't think it can deal with certain types of light that well anymore.
I decided to hit Google for Crosby's Compact again. While a lot of images show them as red leaves, I can't help but think that Ms. Jade is one. The trunks all look the same.

No comments: