Monday, January 29, 2007

Glimpse into my Greenhouse


It's smack dab winter around these parts so a building of a greenhouse was created several years ago with wood, nails, and plastic.

Most of my plants are currently jade plants which can't survive the cold winters. Most of my jade plants are of the one growing in a white pot. It turned 10 years old last month and hasn't done anything, really. After lots of thinking and talking with others, I am convinced that it is a dwarf variety that'll never get any bigger than it ever has been. I also have some hobbit jade, gollum jade, as well as some jade plants that I got that came from a plant that was very large so I'm very pleased to get some. I'd like to have a jade plant that would actually grow very big. I'm just disappointed that I struggled with my old one only to really come to the conclusion after a long time that it wasn't a 'big' jade.

Let's see... There's also two poinsettias, some thanksgiving cacti cuttings - Oh! Those long leaves are Pachira, I think? It was given as a gift and labeled as Money Tree. I believe there were 5 or 6 of them braided together. Unfortunately, all the others died off except for one that has hung in there and still appears to be growing.

And the plants growing in the plastic holiday santa cup is cucumber. I found a ziploc bag full of very old vegetable seeds so I decided to test the cucumber packet. All four seeds took. I really didn't think they would. After they grow a bit bigger, I'll have to find a very large pot for them to grow in. I've grown them in a large pot before and it's done fantastic as long as I water it heavily on a daily basis.

No comments: